Thorne & Bryan Genealogy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Last Page Activity: Nov. 11, 2015 
Harold Arthur THORNE


Birth:   10 Jul 1894      Vancouver, British Columbia

Death:   9 Mar 1984     Richmond, British Columbia 1

Father: Fred Clayton THORNE (1862-1948)

Mother: Cora 'Emma' TERRY (1861-1946)


Spouse: Margaret Elizabeth JONES

Birth: 22 Apr 1893 Carleton County, Ont.2

Death: 8 Jul 1978 Squamish, B.C.2

Father: Daniel JONES (1854-1936)

Mother: Sarah Ann LARKIN (1870-1898)


Marriage: 10 Feb 1915               Vancouver, British Columbia 3

Status:  Separated later in life (1953).  (Divorce?).

Harold entered into a common law marriage with Molly "Bobbie" Millier (nee Wacher) on Aug 21 1953 which lasted until her death Dec 28 1979.




Harold Arthur [Art] (1915-1987)

Dorothy [Dot] Olive (Apr 11,1920-)

Clayton Larkin (1926-2011)

Link Icon to THORNE Harold to JONES Margaret marriage registration
CLICK for enlarged marriage registration
Thorne Family in  1895 L-R: Ella 11,  Harold 1,  Fred 32,  Edna 9,  Cliff 4,  Emma 33

Harold Arthur  Thorne 1900 - six years old

Harold and Margaret ca 1915




  • Thorne Family (near right) 1900.  L-R: Edna, Ella, Charlie, Harold (sitting front), Doris, Emma, Cliff (sitting front) Fred


  • Thorne Family (far right) 1905.     L-R: Edna, Fred, Charlie (on Edna's lap), Doris (in back by Fred),  Ella, Cliff, Harold (sitting front), Emma.


  • To Be a Pioneer  -  brother Cliff Thorne Profiled in THE GAZETTE, Grand Forks, BC   Wednesday, February 2, 1983




  • Harold worked with his father, Fred, on the hop ranch. 
  • Another job he had was delivering groceries by horse and buggy for JR Blake & Company.


  • September 10, 1911, Harold writes his mother a post card (pictured right)  "Edwards Lake, B.C.  Dear Mother.  Just a line to let you know that everything is going all right.  What is that matter anyway.  I have not heard from you for a long time." 


 Front of Post Card "Ashcroft & Thomson River, BC"

  • Around 1911 Harold and his bother Cliff were working with pack horses.  


  • Harold took supplies through Cheakamus Canyon for the building of the PGE Railroad.   Picture below centre is at 15 Mile going towards Garabaldi Station. Upon completion of rail line the postcard (below far right) was issued.   
1913 Brackendale - Cliff and Harold with a sting of pack horses.
  • Harold met Margaret in Squamish.  


  • "Not long after getting married, Harold worked in maintenance  for the PGE (Pacific Great Eastern) Railway.  He then moved to the position of Sleeping Car Conductor for many years after which he transferred to the Stores Department of the PGE.  At this time they were living in Brackendale.  They had two ranches,.  One was 99 acres and the other 18 acres.  They lived on the 18 acres, then moved to the 99 acres. After selling the 99 acres for $2,800 (as relayed by their son, Clayton) they returned to the 18 acres which became the Circle T Guest Ranch.  Wanted to give ranch to son Clayton, but Clayton said, "No", he "didn't want to stare into the rumps of horses any longer."  - from interview with Clayton Thorne 2005
  • October 25, 1925 Harold writes his sister Edna (Mrs. R. T. Van Horne) a postcard:  " Brackendale, B.C.   October 25/25   Dear sister & all.   Just a line to thank you for the flowers you sent me a long time ago.  Have them all yet and are doing fine.  Well everything is going along fine have seen one snow storm so far and lots of frost.  Some of the lakes are frozen over.  Love Harold"
Above is front picture of postcard (left) to his sister, Edna, October 25, 1925.
Harold Arthur Thorne with son Harold Arthur [Art]
Harold Arthur Thorne with son, Clayton
 EXCERPTS FROM LETTERS written by Harold to his sister Edna and brother-in-law Ralph Van Horne:

1948 Apr 13 from Brackendale, BC (type-written except for signature):
"I know you will be thinking I am a dandy for not writing before this, but you know how it is with me, just the same old line  But I have been real busy trying to get things done.  You know it wont be long before the 24th of May and we must be in shape by then.  The material I ordered when I was down did not come until yesterday, but I changed my plans again and have the Fireplace built and stained and varnished also the bar.  I am almost through with the main hall, then for the kitchen although I have the most of it done.  Have not touched the grounds or garden yet but will get at it before long I hope.  Everything is looking green here now, so we may  be going to have some real weather after all.  Margaret is talking of trying to come home this coming sunday if the Dr. will let her.  If so I will try and come down saturday to come back with her, I also want to thank you all for what you have done for us both and for calling on Margaret while she has been down.  Everybody is O.K. here and hope you all are the same.  As ever. Harold."

1973 Apr 16 from Box 21, Hedley, BC:  
" Yes you sent me the book on the chickens so you don't have to look for it.  We had a lot of company the  last month. Dody & two others were here and went back today.  They are coming back for Easter.  Never a dull moment.  Have some garden in & and a lot of flowers to plant .... I am trying to make this a show place, get lots of nice remarks from the people that pass. Have not had time to do much with the Railroad ... I have built all the tunnels, bridges & mountains. It is a real layout, no kids plaything.  I don't let anybody run it. I have it behind a wire fence so no one is allowed in.  It is about 15 feet long by 6 feet wide on the front veranda.  Hope all of you down there are O.K.  Bobby has the flu, has been in bed for a week now. Love Harold. "

Date unknown simply marked "Box 21, Hedley, BC Monday " ... There is always people here we had five here for several days then two went but two came just as they left.  Dody was here with four others they all bring sleeping bags & bunk on the floor.  We had 16 in one week.  I don't know if I told you that I have built a green house.  I want to grow tomatoes & cucumbers all winter & have nice flowers for Xmas.  The people here think it a great idea.  We have flowers all around the house & lawn.  We are using all vegetables in the garden & have some in the deep freeze.  Soon will have ripe tomatoes so you see I don't have much time to write.   Have a lot of Tourists in here & they stop and chat. There is more time lost but it is nice to have people notice the place.  We are having a warm spell here. It goes up to as high as 97 in the shade.  We don't mind it though we have nice shade trees and the nites cool off some so that helps.  I had a real nice german shep. given me and she is a real watch dog & she sure looks after me. She is right at my side nearly all the time & sleeps on the mat by my bed.  She stops people right at the gate until I come.  She is O.K. for here as the young people here get real rough at times, the police patrol here but they seem to know when the police are around.  Hope you all are well as we are O.K.  Late, Best Wishes from both of us.  Love Harold.  Hi Bircham & Mary."

 A wonderful letter from Edna (nee Thorne) to her husband Ralph Van Horne, regarding her father Fred Thorne August 14, 1946 nine days after her motherís (Cora Emma Ė nee Terry) passing.

Brackendale, BC    August 14, 1946

Dear Ralph,

Iíll try to get a letter written today of a sort.  Yesterday seemed to be calling day.  The Dr called in to see how Dad was.  Just a friendly call as he was passing & Dad told him he could have some blackberries so he came back later on with his daughter.  They are nice & friendly & Dad enjoyed them.

Minnie came up with laundry too.

I got the cards from Pauline & will settle for them when I see her.  Harold brought his paper down this morning so I saw the ad.   The August 6th last Ė made it sound a year ago as it is still only middle of Aug.  I wonder why they put it in that way.  I see some of the letters - I mean alphabet - in paper are upside down at times so I suppose the type setters are new at it. 

The first letter I sent to Aunt Ella was just to say I was coming up as Mama was sick.  I told Pauline that but I guess she has a worse memory than mine.  I see Picton papers were to copy & newspapers send along fast so I hope Aunt Ella did not see it in paper before my second letter which she could not get before yesterday or today. 

I donít know when I am coming down - not till I finish the sorting Dad wants me to do.We are going to Squamish Friday morning on some business he wants to get done.  I thought one day last week I was going to have trouble. He got rather unnerved & said he would have to go to the old menís home.  I told him he could come with us. He said he could not live in City all the time. 

Clif had told him he could go to his cabin at Irwinís if he took his bed. He said Clif would not be there & they had no accommodation & it was too near town??  He had not heard from Doris (hasnít yet) & had not seen Harold but Harold came in that day & proved he had been thinking it over as he told Dad he could go up there.  Dad said he wanted to be independent.  Harold said he would build him a little cabin of his own & H + Marg asked us up last Sunday to let Dad pick out his own spot for the house. Now Dad is so happy he can be alone but not alone and best of all as Teddy said when a big freight Ė of I think 26 cars - went by Ö. "Grandpa is laughing and so joyed because he can see the train & gets where he can see them cross the road by Minnies".  I really donít know how Harold can spare the time, they have more company coming Sunday & they are letting the girl go. She is not satisfactory, but he sure tries to do what he can & Dad thinks itís wonderful.  Apparently itís where he wanted to go as he says he can walk over to Brackendale store to get tobacco or the mail & close to where he gets his hair cut & he said (if all things) "I like the bears and animals around".  I guess itís the old hunter in him.  A big bear was on the track Sunday when we were up there.

Well they have good water there any way & itís only slime here now. Itís awful.   If a letter comes from Aunt Ella open it & phone me please & I wish as soon as you can you would get me a big photo album at the 15₵ store & post it to me.  I got one for Bircham with 2 dutch figures in gold & they had Pirates, etc.  Get a suitable one that would take an 8x10 and some slip in corners for it as Dad wants to keep his photos even if some have to be taken from the frames.

When you buy meat donít use tokens as they will be good after the end of the month. Get your coupons cashed each time as they are due.

You could mark one Sunday Paper & send it to Uncle Charlie Thorne Box 397, Indian Head Sask.

Dad asked me to thank you for all youíve done.

While I think of it he said you could have the 2 graves.  I am going to pay out of mamas as she wished perpetual care for Ella & Chas & stones, so Iíll let you know about that when I see you.  If Fred Jones says anything about Grandpaís let them hold it till I see them.

Will Bircham be back by 1st Sept or soon after.  I hope Bon, Pau and B did not forget to pay you for the sprays.

I did not let Paulineís trip cost her anything. But she would have to buy her dinner on boat. The night she went down & Clif & Harold paid for taxi to their places. She said she had a lovely time so I donít feel badly about asking her to come.  You mention you might help up here.  I donít know yet til the building starts.  The leaving part is done here now til Dad moves.  Clif took the piano. It was the heaviest job.  I was afraid the veranda would go down with them.  There is a hornet nest on front veranda & the other day a snake was up on the veranda so I keep my eyes open & step high.

I had a letter from Dora Bastire & Lil Jones.  Hope to get cards out tonight. Suppose Iíll have to compose the 6 for U.  Oh well! Glad to get others any way.  I expect Iím forgetting a lot. Will get another letter off it I donít go down soon.  Iím not hurrying so I donít get too tired & have slept pretty well except first few nights & I sat up till after 5 AM with Mama.  The night I came I wanted to - it was all night. Pauline offered to sit up too but I knew she was tired.  This is the last Iíll have to do as Doris has daughters.  Margaret Thorne has been wonderful. 

Love Edna       please excuse awful scratch.

CLICK page above to view full hand written (in pencil) letter from Edna.


EXCERPT letter from brother Cliff to sister Edna Van Horne & family March 27, 1974.  "Received your letter the day I got back from visiting Harold.  He seems to be doing OK and is full of plans for his place [in Hedley, BC].  I don't think you need worry about his financial situation.  He told me when he bought the place that he paid cash in full and had $2000 left after paying cartage.   He told me recently that it costs them about $160 a month to live which they share.  They two get over $400 a month so must be saving money. 

Harold Arthur THORNE Photo Gallery
Lodge at Circle T Guest Ranch.    Front of unwritten postcard. Unknown if any family member in photo  Harold with son Clayton at Circle T.
 Bircham Van Horne, Clayton, Harold and Helen at Circle T Ranch. Harold in Richmond, BC with one of his Welsh ponies.    Harold Arthur with son, Art, and Sherrie (Bryan) Thorne

1. Birth Registration Archives, B13811, GSU 2134881.

2. Death Registration Archives, B13586, GSU 2051145.

3. Marriage Registration Archives, B11379, 1983707.

4. 2005 Interview with Clayton Thorne 

 Harold at Circle T Ranch(?).